Reliable and Real-Time Wireless Automation
The RIWA project deals with reliable and real-time wireless communication and control for industrial wireless automation applications. Applying wireless technologies in industry enables flexible and cost effective automation systems. The primary goal of the project is to develop robust hardware and software components and design tools for industrial applications. The emphasis is on industrial pilots, where the research results of the projects are tested and evaluated. The pilots ensure both a tight cooperation between the research institutes and the industry partners and a guideline for researching and solving the right issues.
- Keywords: wireless automation, real-time, reliable, wireless communication, control
- Duration: 2011-2013
- Research area: Wireless Automation
- Related projects: RELA, WiSA, WISM, GENSEN, ISMO
- Funding: TEKES, Ubicom program
- Aalto, Wireless Sensor Systems group, (Departments of Communications and Networking and Automation and Systems Technology)
- VTT, Wireless sensor networks and embedded devices
- University of Vaasa, Telecommunication Engineering
- Riku Jäntti, Aalto, responsible leader
- Mikael Björkbom, Aalto, project manager
- Pirkka Tukeva, VTT
- Reino Virrankoski, University of Vaasa
Publications (Aalto only)
- Vesa Hasu and Mikael Björkbom,
"On suboptimal Kalman filtering in case of cluttered observations,"
in Proc. IECON 2013, Austria, 2013, 2013, pp. 5101-5106.
- Olli Kilkki and Mikael Björkbom,
"Optimization of control transmissions by event-driven model prediction,"
in Proc. IECON 2013, Austria, 2013, 2013, pp. 5666-5671.
- Joni Silvo, Lasse Eriksson, Mikael Björkbom and Shekar Nethi,
"Ultra-reliable and real-time communication in local wireless applications,"
in Proc. IECON 2013, Austria, 2013, 2013, pp. 5609-5614.
- Mikael Björkbom and Marina Eskola,
"Suomelle langattomia automaatioalustoja ja uusia sovelluskohteita,"
Automaatioväylä, no. 3, s. 26-28, 2012.
- Mikael Björkbom and Henri Öhman,
"Integration of PiccSIM and TrueTime,"
in WoWCA 2012, Vaasa, Finland: IEEE, Univ. of Vaasa, 2012, 6 pp.