Quality and competitive edge with innovative automation
Quality, in addition to price, is the most important factor when a customer chooses a product, machine, or a service. Defining and measuring quality is not straightforward. The AULA project addresses this problem and the further problem of improving quality, taking application specific parameters into account. This project has several subprojects: PIPO, LATU, PALASET, RIKE, LITKU, and VIATON. The project is a co-operation between partners from different academic and industrial fields, providing multidisciplinary research and different real-world application areas. The common goal of all subprojects is to develop such quality criteria that have a clear connection to the quality requirements customers give. By paying attention to significant quality criteria, it becomes possible to improve manufacturing processes and products such that the customers' expectations are met better and better.
Our research partners are the Institute of Automation and Control (ACI) of the Tampere University of Technology (TUT), the Finnish Meteorological Institute and the Faculty of Forest Sciences of the University of Joensuu. Our industrial partners are M-real, Pyhäsalmi Mine Oy (Inmet Mining Corporation), Norilsk Nickel Harjavalta, John Deere Forestry, Aspocomp, Outokumpu Technology Minerals, Vaisala and Atotech. Our research is financed by Tekes and the industrial partners.
- Keywords: Quality, quality control, monitoring, data mining
- Duration: 2007-2008
- Research area: Process Control, Operations & Maintenance
- Related projects: TILLIKKA
- Publications (total: 36)
- PIPO - Quality and fusion of surface weather stations and dual-polarization radar measurements
- LATU - Improving quality and productivity in forest machine work and timber harvesting chain
- PALASET - Support system for intelligent monitoring of quality variation in paper making
- RIKE - Performance Improvement for Concentration Process
- LITKU - Support system for leaching control
- VIATON - Advanced Modelling and Control of the ViaFill Process
- Olli Haavisto: Reflectance spectrum analysis of mineral flotation froths and slurries (2009)
- Vesa Hölttä: Plant performance evaluation in complex industrial applications (2009)